Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Foucault You.

It is important to clarify one thing unequivocally, up front, and without delay. At no point is the goal of this project to say "it's all men's fault. I am therefore going to go watch Beaches and eat chocolate in my pink bunny slippers." I do not, in fact, have bunny slippers.[1] Although males do have their role in the subject social dynamic, to say that the specter of the unattainable ideal woman is something foisted upon defenseless females is not only disempowering, it's silly. I have never been told by a male in my life "you're too fat" or "you really should make more handcrafted items" or "I will really think less of you if you don't learn French." I have never met a man who cared whether I ate more vegetables, drank green tea (high in antioxidants, tastes like elephants), or grew my own organic herb garden. That, almost hilariously, is the point: the individual participants in the patriarchy do not, on a conscious level, care. So why do we?

Take Foucault (please!). In his book Discipline and Punish (1977), he analyzes the transition from "torture" (see, being drawn and quartered in the town square) under the monarchical system of government, to "discipline," in which, essentially the punishment is internalized and torture unnecessary (see, modern prisons). In short, repression of the populace through overt displays of brutality vice self-policing of a well behaved populace. Corporal punishment, he argues, is "inconsistent with the modern desire to be refined and enlightened."

Compare this, then, to the loosening legal restrictions on women's rights. Women in the American colonies could not hold property (subject to some exceptions), nor vote, nor seek divorce or reproductive choice.  Subjugation of women was legally codified, and can be analogized to the "overt violence" of Foucault's monarchical punishment. But codified subjugation of a given group is inconsistent with the egalitarian ideals of the modern era. As such, while legal restrictions were lifted, inequality was internalized. That is, if modern women have on a subconscious level internalized the idea that we are "less than," it would only make sense that we are always striving to be "more." The "more," then, is the unattainable modern "equal."

So, let's go from burning the witch (she weighs the same as a duck), i.e. overt violence, to symbolic violence.  "Symbolic violence… is a violence exercised in formal terms."  (Bordieu, 1990, 84-85) Formal, the way it is used in this context, means "universal," or "official" and thus seemingly neutral. It is the neutrality in this case that is the kicker. Seemingly neutral indicators of success in the workplace: ambition, decisiveness, rationality- are highly gendered with regard to their traditional association as male or female characteristics. We enter the workplace every day and, in order to succeed, emulate these male characteristics. In a journey to be "equal" we actually attempt to be "male," (i.e. exhibit the characteristics which are assumed to be neutrally better) a feat at which we are destined to fail.

So, Foucault you.

Works Cited:

Bourdieu, P. 1990. In Other Words. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Foucault, M. 1977. Discipline and Punish. New York: Pantheon.




[1] They're sock monkeys.

7 comments:

  1. That might be the greatest footnote ever. And the fact that it's solo only adds to the effect. I was just thinking today about feeling fat. I know it's ridiculous, since every time I get my body fat analyzed I end up right smack in the middle of the "ideal" range. What more am I looking for? I higher ideal. Don't judge me against some chart, judge me against the rest of the WORLD! And if I'm not the skinniest then I'm not working hard enough! I don't CARE if she doesn't eat an ounce of fat and works out all day long, I'm not good enough! And yeah, no guy is to blame for this neurosis. WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stumbled onto something there at the end, Harvard. Perhaps men and women are actually different. Or perhaps everyone is different--driven by their own internal desires that not even they understand (unless they are a monk living in a mountain somewhere who has reached true enlightenment). Anyway, I have no idea what you were saying during half of this post, so you should be happy that I feel dumb now. By the way, why is it that I tell my wife how perfect and wonderful she is but she never believes me? Must be because I complain about her incessant cleaning and attempts to get me to eat healthy. Not sure how I used to survive on "inorganic" food...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salty- um, yes. Men and Women *are* different, and *are* driven by their own internal desires- but those desires to not exist in a vacuum. Even our innermost desires, our fondest dreams, are informed by the social structure in which we have operated from birth. There is no objective desire. Also, you hit on something there at the end- it is exactly the scenario of you telling your wife she is wonderful and her not believing you that we're trying to answer. Why doesn't she believe you- this is the crux of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crux of the problem indeed. I SHOULD have some brilliant insight into this issue, considering I exist smack dab in the middle of it. But a 69(b) swallowed my brain this afternoon. Or maybe it turned me into a newt . . .

    What? I got better.

    She doesn't believe you because to believe you because to believe you would make her vain, which would therefore nullify whatever positive you've found. Because confidence in women is so easily seen as vanity. And while we strive for all these "masculine" ideals, we are also striving for the feminine ones - in this case modesty.

    On that note, Chanelle, you are forbidden to visit my blog with any expectation that it will be anywhere near as well thought out as yours. There's a reason (or 30) it's anon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But in your metaphor here aren't men, once the original torturers, now merely the wardens of your modern prison?

    As an aside, all of the women in my stable drink gallons of green tea and acai, and are fluent in French. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you not going to respond, Failure?l

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous- no. Men now have very little to do with it. The point is that women have internalized the prison.

    ReplyDelete